This page was last updated in
Cleaning a fish tank is a big and tedious job especially when you have lots of beloved fished in the tank. To successfully complete the task, it is important you are aware of how to clean a fish tank without killing the fish. Cleaning the tank might bring a lot of stress to you, but one should realize that appropriate hygiene and cleanliness is important for the health of the fish. To make sure that plants and fishes in the tank stay healthy, make a point to clean the tank at least once in a year. Before you begin with the cleaning work, let’s get sorted with the essentials that you must have by your side to complete the task properly.
#1, What will you Need to Clean the Fish Tank?
Get prepared for the things listed below;
- A large container similar to tank wherein fishes can accommodate.
- Prepare an appropriate environment wherein fishes can stay during the cleaning time.
- A tub of clean water
- Submersible pump or aeration unit.
- Pressure nozzle or washer
- Scrub brush or sponge
Above mentioned are essentials that must be collected and kept aside before beginning with the procedure of tank cleaning.
#2, Steps to Tank Cleaning
- Placement of an alternate container: Before you empty the wish tank make sure to place a large container near the tank. Make sure that the container is large enough to accommodate all the fishes in the tank. It is better to have the container just alongside the tank such that the shifting of plants and fishes can be done without any sort of discomfort.
- Fill in the container: Now fill the container with two-third of tank water and one-third of clean water. The clean water can be filled in using tap water. Along with water, don’t forget to add a de-chlorinator in it. Also, place a submersible pump or aeration unit in the container for the convenience of fish. This shall make the environment of a container similar to that of the tank, making it easy for the fish to survive.
- Removal of fish: Now it is the right time to move your fish from the tank. Use a net to move fish gently from tank to container. Once fishes have been moved, make sure to also move plants to another container. Plants have to be filled in a separate container with tank water in it. this shall give fishes and plants sufficient space to survive without any inconvenience.
- hand-o-right Rinse the components and filter: Take out the filter and other components inside the tank to rinse it using a hose. If in case any of the filter materials or other tank portions have worn out make sure to replace them with new ones. Once rinsing is completed it is time to assemble all the filter parts again. Use the best replacement and rinsing materials for the tank such that fishes can get back into a good place and live a long and healthy life.
- hand-o-right drain the water out of the tank: Now drain the water out of the tank using wet/dry vac. Reroute the hose from the submersible pump to an outside pond or turn the valve on for bead filter such that drain position can be appropriately maintained. While carrying out this step, make sure to drain as much water as possible. Less or no water shall enable you to do cleaning appropriately without leaving any corner in the tank. Once the task has been completed turn off the power of the pump or filter.
- hand-o-right removal and scrubbing of the tank: Now when your pond has been emptied, remove any form of mud, debris, or silt attached towards the side of the tank. The walls and rocks inside the tank can also be cleaned using a pressure nozzle or washer. The pressure nozzle is quite effective in cleaning and sucking all the mud inside the tank. It is even advisable to use the latest equipment and technique that can effectively clean the materials inside the tank and remove any sort of dirt inside it.
- hand-o-right clean the algae: Once the mud has been removed, it is time to attack the algae. Use scrub brush or sponge for getting rid of algae. It is common to have algae all over the plants. So make sure that the plants removed from the tank are effectively cleaned from algae and then placed back again. For plants placed inside the container, they have to be cleaned against algae using a scrub and clean water. It is quite effective and shall help you have plants that are clean and just appropriate to be placed back again in the tank.
- hand-o-rightful in the water: Once the cleaning has been completed, pour back the tank water from a plant containing container. Once the water from the container has been emptied, the rest of the tank has to be filled in with clean tap water. Once the water has been filled in completely inside the tank, put in dechlorinating tablet in it. Make sure that the tank is filled with water till the top.
- hand-o-rightLet the temperature settle down: Once the water has been filled in, give some time to the water to warm up. It is important to have a moderate temperature similar to what was earlier when fishes were in the tank.
- hand-o-right place the fishes in the tank: Once the temperature inside the tank has settled down place fishes back into the tank. Once all the fishes have been poured in don’t forget to turn on the filters or pump of the tank.
Video: How To Clean A Fish Tank
Video Credit: Videojug
We hope you enjoyed reading out the steps of cleaning the fish tank listed above. Well if cleaning your tank is due, don’t forget to follow these steps and carry out cleaning effectively.
If in case, you have any questions regarding our article feel free to drop your questions in the comments section below. Also, share our article if you find it helpful. We hope you had a good time reading our article and it briefs you on how to clean a fish tank without killing the fish.